Thursday, September 01, 2005

Bicycle conversations

The weather wizard finally decided on a dry and sunny day so it was a bicycle commute to work today. As I walked in to the Marriott (heading for the health club and my very welcome shower) I stopped to talk to one of the hotel managers who is often in the lobby in the morning. This morning he told me that I didn't need to lock my bike to a light post outside, that I could wheel it into the entryway and he would keep an eye on it. Now I really don't mind locking it up, but what a nice offer!

Then as I walked by the hotel restaurant I said hello to a guest who was walking out. He said hello, then asked if I commute to work by bike and asked how far. With those questions I was sure I was talking to another cyclist. He turned out to be from the Washington DC area, and he commutes to work year-round. I'm only a summer (and around the edges) commuter since riding in the dark with the crazy drivers around here scares me, plus I can't handle the really cold (and wet) weather. He pointed out that Washington has more of a southern climate, and that you can get used to riding in the dark, with good lights, of course. I think I'll stick to my daylight commute, although I'm sure I'm going to miss riding in to work when I get back from my tour of PEI.