Thursday, April 14, 2005

How many states have you visited?

I don't know why, but today I started thinking about how (when?) I am going to get to the 5 states that I have not yet visited. I've been stuck at 45 states for a few years now - and it's funny, when I look back at my cross-country ride the only state that I entered for the first time was Kansas!

Tha missing states? South Dakota, Nebraska, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia. As far as I can tell it's going to take a minimum of 3 trips to get to these 5 states. What I'm thinking right now is long weekends...

The first is likely to be South Dakota and Nebraska. I really want to visit Badlands National Park, which is in the southwest corner of South Dakota. I figure that I'll take the time on that trip to drive into the corner of Nebraska. Maybe I'll even find something interesting to see while I'm there!

The other 3? Well, I've got a bit of reading to do to find something that interests me in those states. I really regret not getting to Mississippi & Arkansas on a business trip several years back. I had to go to a meeting in Memphis, and I wanted to eat dinner on the run and loop through Mississippi & Arkansas. That would have been an easy way to get to those states, but the colleague I was traveling with insisted on going out to dinner. Hindsight? I should have dropped him off at a restaurant and headed out wandering on my own!

One of these days...