Sunday, February 27, 2005

Cold outside, and a cold...

Wow - I just realized that I haven't written any blog entries in the last two weeks. The reason? I feel like I've actually lost the time while I've been fighting with a really nasty winter cold. And if you don't want to hear about my battle, you'd better stop reading right now!

It started 2 1/2 weeks ago as a head cold. I loaded up on zinc and echinecea, and it disappeared within a day. That is - it tricked me into thinking that it disappeared. I headed to New York for the weekend to see my folks, and over the weekend the damn thing came back as a minor sore throat. Still not too bad. Unfortunately it just never went away, and by the middle of the week I was fighting a full-blown cold. After spending 5 days at home - 2 work days where I slept half the day and worked the other half, 2 weekend days, and 1 holiday (Presidents' Day, the one weird holiday my company is closed) - I headed back to work. But I also headed to the doctor because I just wasn't getting better. My own doctor was out, so I saw someone else in her office. And this woman turned out to be a real gem. She gave me cough syrup with coedeine, which definitely helped me get closer to a normal night's sleep, but on Tuesday it still seemed like just a cold. She made sure I knew the symptoms of a sinus infection, and told me to call if one developed. Back to work...

Wednesday I was still feeling the same, no improvement. It wasn't really worse, so I figured I'd just wait it out. In the middle of the afternoon, I got what for me was a surprise phone call - it was the doc I saw on Tuesday, calling to see if I could feel any improvement. After our conversation, she decided that my little cold had taken the next step and morphed into a sinus infection, time for antibiotics. It's Sunday now, and while I'm not totally back to what I consider normal, I feel much, much better.

What is it with winter and colds anyway? Last year I managed to get through the winter without one, but for some reason I wasn't able to avoid it this time. Do you think there is some kind of magic spell I can use to prevent the next one?