Friday, February 04, 2005

No walking for me on this icy morning!

The past couple of weeks haven't been great for reaching my walking and exercising goals. Somehow the weather hasn't been cooperating, and there have also been days when I never managed to get away from my desk (or my computer). That's got to stop...

My goal for these winter months is to get in at least an hour's worth of aerobic exercise each day. Somehow I haven't been able to get myself to ride my bike on a trainer this year - I just can't stay on it long enough to get much benefit from it. I started this week by promising myself to get back to walking either before work or as an afternoon break, plus getting to the gym right after work. I'm really not a runner, but I walk at a pretty good clip so I believe I really am getting some benefit from it. It's not the same as biking outside, but there just isn't enough daylight (or warmth) for me to pull that off right now. A combination of walking and using an elliptical trainer seems to be working. But I'm still fighting to manage an hour's worth of exercise every day during the week. I'm not having any problems with adding another 1 and a half to 2 hours on each weekend day, but the weekdays are more of a battle than I'd like. This week was better than the last couple - and I'm determined that next week will be even better...

There were many beautiful snow-covered and icy branches this morning - but it was a bit too icy to support my walking habit.