Sunday, February 13, 2005

A sea of orange

... on another New York visit weekend

Dad's second surgery to remove the spot of cancer from his second lung was last Monday (the 7th). Suze was there for the surgery and again for a bit on Thursday, Neal visited on Thursday, the weekend was my planned visit - and of course Mom was with him the entire time. This second surgery was rougher than the first, at least partly because it was scheduled a short 3 weeks after the first. There's nothing like having a second major surgery before full recovery from the first... It was hard seeing him in pain, although there was visible improvement before I left on Sunday. I'm still sending lots of good wishes his way, and I'm sure your wishes will help too.

New York isn't a place that I voluntarily visit - if you haven't figured this out yet, I'm really not much of a city gal! As cities go, Boston is about my size - and New York is the home of too many people and too many cars. But this was a good weekend for a vist to New York, and I owe my dad thanks for that. Saturday was the opening day of Christo & Jeanne-Claude's exhibit "The Gates" in Central Park. I carved out the time for a couple of hour-long walks, and of course my target destination was Central Park. I arrived there Saturday morning in time to see the unfurling of some of the orange gates, and I absolutely enjoyed the spectacle.

A sea of orange marching forward.


A nice contrast - blue sky, trees in their winter state of undress, and a bright orange banner.


Interested in more photos? You can find them in my New York, February 2005 --- Christo's The Gates, plus..." photo gallery.