Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Darkness, step by step

Somehow, I can't get myself to face all indoor exercise. Yes, we're well into fall, the temperatures are cool, and there's not enough daylight - but I'm still walking outside. While I try to get a mid-day walk in, that doesn't always work, and I'm often wandering by foot without the benefit of daylight. I am lucky that I live next to a college campus, so I do have an area for walking that doesn't have much traffic. That's not enough though; guarding against boredom sends me down neighborhood streets too. Sticking to the sidewalks makes me feel unbalanced at times since the surfaces are far from flat and are not easily visible in the dark. I thought it was just one of my own idiosyncracy's that oncoming vehicle lights seem to make the visibility worse, but one of my co-workers expressed the same thing to me today as we were talking about exercising outside without the benefit of daylight. And yes, I really am sticking to those sidewalks in spite of my desire to walk on the smoother surface of the streets...

I suppose I'm going to have to start to split my exercise time between walking outside and doing some bouts on the elliptical trainer at the gym...

The magic of Illuminite... a vision of my outer layer of "walking in the dark" clothing. My vest and jacket are both light blue, but you can get the idea of the effect of lights on the fabric here. Natural light on the left, and hit with headlights at night on the right.