Saturday, July 16, 2005

Birds and squirrels...

It's been a good animal sighting week for me. I was riding home from work on Friday, and I was within a mile of home. At that point I was on route 125, which is a relatively high speed (50 miles per hour) 2-lane road with wide shoulders. I thought I heard something, and then - what's that? I saw a hawk (not to far from me) rising from the ground or a low branch, and flying to a perch higher up in the trees. Beautiful. It's times like that when I both wish I had my camera with me, and realize that there is no way I would be able to catch that unexpected flight. Guess that one has to be a mind memory as opposed to a photographic memory!

Then, this morning as I was riding, a squirrel made a suicide run in front of me. I've noticed for years that squirrels seem to think it's funny to see how close they can get to my bicycle wheels. This one definitely made me jump because he came out of heavy underbrush to run in front of my wheel. From where I was sitting, it was a little close for comfort, but luckily the silly squirrel safely ran in front of my wheel, no collision!