Thursday, July 28, 2005

Hot, humid, rain, relief!

It was a week filled with many weather changes, which means it wasn't a great week for commuting to work by bike. The threat of rain on Monday and Wednesday convinced me to drive to work, but I rode on Tuesday even though I knew that the ride home would be very hot and humid. Wednesday evening brought a wild storm; I wish I had run outside to attempt to capture images of that very black sky, but instead I was making sure that the windows that were taking the brunt of the force of the wind was closed. I intended to ride to work today, but when I first went outside in the morning it was like walking through a wall of water. I did manage a decent after-work ride though, aided by the fact that the power at the office went off at 3:30. With the power company estimating that the earliest we would have power would be 6:30, it seemed like a good time to head home!

And this was certainly the week for power outages. I lost power at home during the storm last night - it was off from 7:30 until 1 AM. Unfortunately the smoke detectors in my house beep when the power goes out and beep when it comes back on again too, so I was awakened with the return of the power at 1 in the morning. Oh well, it was a good time to reset the clocks before falling asleep again.

The weather now? I really wish it would stay like this for weeks - or even months! The temperature today was in the low to mid-70s, with overnight temperatures cooler than that - and no humidity. I think I would be very happy living in a place that had this type of temperature year round.

Morning clouds on a day that was supposed to bring rain, but that left dry roads for an evening ride


...and a beautiful floral greeting along the side of the road on the same morning


A cool evening later in the week, wonderful wispy clouds