Sunday, October 02, 2005

Blue skies, shorter days

I have to admit I'm having a hard time accepting the shortening of the daylight. You're right, I have months to get through before the days stop getting shorter, so I'd better get used to it soon!

Last week was my first non-vacation, non-bike-to-work week in a long time. I knew when I got home that the days would be too short to support a daylight bicycle commute, but that's still hard to accept. I used the week to start rebuilding my off-season exercise schedule. The weather was nice in spite of the shorter days, so I haven't started a gym routine yet. Instead, I walked between an hour and a half and two hours each day during the week. And of course on Saturday and Sunday my bike and I wandered the roads again.

The nights have been relatively cold, sneaking down into the lower 40s. We've had some cool days too, but today's mid-70 degree temperature was a pleasure for riding. The colors are changing, but slowly. I noticed last week that there is a tinge of brown in the trees, and there are a few pockets of red, orange, and yellow. As long as we have to accept this change in temperatures, I'm hoping that we have a good color season to go along with the change in daylight and temperatures.

Hopefully I'll stop complaining about the change in seasons soon!

A beautiful sign of the changing seasons, I'm fascinated by these milkweed seed pods.