Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The weather wizard is out of control...

...again!

You're right, I have been complaining about the weather way too much lately, but the weather wizard hasn't given me much of a choice! It has definitely been a very wet October.

The forecast in the Boston Globe this morning was interesting. It didn't strike me as the forecast of a professional meterologist - or maybe they were as frustrated by the prediction as the rest of us. The forecast started with the words Nasty with high winds, heavy rain and flooding. It was absolutely correct, but I can't remember ever seeing a weather forecast begin with the word "nasty"! It rained for a good portion of the day, and the tops of the trees kept us informed about the presence of very strong winds. It was interesting watching people walk by our office windows clutching umbrellas that were seconds away from turning inside out. It was a raincoat day today, not an umbrella day!

I headed out for a solid one and a half hour fast walk this evening, decked out in warm tights, a long underwear tank, a Patagonia R1 shirt, and a rain jacket. I even wore my Ear Bags and light gloves, and I was toasty warm. The temperature was barely 40 degrees with a bit of wind, and a bit of drizzle. Drizzle? Well it almost felt like I was walking through a wall of water. It felt really good to be outside though, and within 10 minutes of my returning home the water was again cascading from the sky. I guess it was a good luck walk...

I really shouldn't complain about our weather here though. I spoke with my Mom after my walk, and she told me it was snowing. The section of upstate New York where my folks live seems to make its own weather, although I know that snow is forecast for higher elevations around here tonight too. Ouch!

There was a fair amount of water flying around outside today - as you can see from this rainfall totals map from the National Weather Service. The red patches are 3 inches (and above), and the yellow indicates a 2 inch rainfall. Where do I live? In one of the yellow bands...