Sunday, October 09, 2005

Rain, rain, walking!

As predicted, it was a very rainy weekend. According to spotter reports on the National Weather Service web site, we had 6.91 inches of rain. That's a lot of water! Yesterday was warm, in the 70s - a good day for a long walk in the rain. After I returned home, I left the windows and doors open to enjoy the warm air. That is, I left them open until I suddenly felt a very chilly breeze. When I again checked the weather service web site I found that the temperature had dropped 15 degrees from one hour to the next. That makes me think that the temperature drop was really instantaneous, as a front slammed (rather than meandered) through the area.

No biking for me this weekend. I probably could have managed a ride this afternoon, but the roads stayed wet for a long, long, time, and the sky stayed a rather dark gray. My bikes decided that none of them wanted to get wet and dirty, and I have to admit that I wasn't in the mood for a major clean and re-lube session today. Fast walking with a few stops to capture the things with my camera worked for today.

I'm pretty amazed to see what looks like freshly blooming flowers this late in the year.


A more seasonal view of the same plant - a very spiny seed pod.