Sunday, October 16, 2005

Windy! but dry...

A beautiful blue sky greeted me this morning, but it soon was covered once more in gray. This time the gray was lighter and not threatening precipitation. In place of the rain, the wind was howling...

Yesterday was another very wet day. The almost 7 inches of rain from last weekend was supplemented by 5 additional inches yesterday. Needless to say, my bike and I didn't venture out on the road. I'm not that fond of riding in the rain, although a light rain isn't terrible. But yesterday's rain wasn't light!

The wind today wasn't as bad as the day in PEI that I was only able to ride at 8 miles per hour riding downhill, but it was pretty bad. I was almost blown off the road a couple of times, but worse than that were the couple of close encounters I had with tree branches. The leaves were flying, as expected. When branches (not huge, but noticeable, definitely not little twigs) started crashing to the ground it made me a bit nervous. When one landed just in front of my bike, I managed to ride over it - but what bothered me was the thought of one of the branches landing on my helmeted head. It was time to cut my ride short and head for home by the shortest route possible.

I don't know how many days of rain we had, but it was too many! Last week was a week that started to get me back into my off-season exercise mode. I did a fair amount of (fast) walking despite the wet weather, and I managed to get myself to the gym for a couple of exercise sessions too. Not too bad, but not at the level I need to maintain a decent level of fitness over the winter. I'll get there though, and hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

We many not have a spectacular color fall this year, but individual trees are making an effort. There are trees that changed early, almost overnight, whose leaves are already gone. There are trees that are still primarily green. And then there are those that are reaching out with some very pretty pockets of changing colors.