Sunday, March 06, 2005

A biking weekend, but snow is on the way

Somehow the weather wizards haven't figured out that it's time for a change. Or perhaps the change is more of that white stuff rather than less!

I was able to get back on track this week with some more regular exercise, something that disappeared from my daily routine while I was fighting a nasty cold and sinus infection. My outside walks suffered though - Thursday evening I headed out with the intention of getting in a good solid hours worth of (fast) walking. I was home again in just 30 minutes though. I checked the temperature before I left, but I neglected to check the wind speed. The air temperature was 25, and that's the temperature I was dressed to handle. But the wind! The wind made it much much colder, and I was fighting a frozen face and very cold fingers before too long. Rather than risk frostbite, I cut my walk short and headed home.

Luckily, the weekend brought a bit of moderation, with temperatures starting in the very cold 20s but warming up into the high 30s. I managed to fit in a bike ride each day, letting the state of the roads dictate my direction. That is, I ended up doing two out and back rides, essentially doing circles up and down route 125. I was determined to stay on dry surfaces so I'd be able to return home with a relatively clean bike. And my bike was happy that I succeeded, too!

But what now? The National Weather Service forecast for the week calls for rain and snow almost every day. Hey, I'm done with this season. Weather wizards, are you listening at all?

I really, really, really don't want to believe this weather forecast!