Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The wind!

Wow - that was quite a storm yesterday. As predicted, the morning temperature of 43 was the high, and by the end of the day it was in the low teens. The rain changed to snow by 3 in the afternoon, but it was the wind that made the storm memorable. I think we got 5 or 6 inches of snow, but I couldn't open my front screen door late last night because the pile of snow in front of it was probably a good 2 feet deep!

I was comfortably home last night when I heard a big clap of thunder. Who's confused now? Me? Or the weather wizard? The wind continued its scary activity all night long, made even more interesting for me by the fact that my power went out at about 9 o'clock. It was going to be very cold outside, so I set myself up with not one but two down comforters on my bed. Snuggled in my down nest, I read by flashlight - one of those wonderful head lamps - for a bit, then attempted to sleep. It was a bit early for that though, so I think it took a good hour for me to fall asleep.I woke up when the lights came back on at 2:30 in the morning. Since I didn't know which lights were on and which were off, I expected to have a bit of a surprise when they popped back on again. I have to say I was very happy that the house had a chance to warm up to a normal temperature before I hopped in the shower this morning.

It's a beautiful sunny morning, but still very cold and very windy. Here's hoping for some moderating weather to support my outdoor walking (and biking!) habits... But I have a feeling that my exercise today will be in the gym and not outside!