Thursday, March 03, 2005

Eyes dry? Are you sure they are closed?

I discovered something interesting during my eye exam earlier this week. One of my complaints was that my eyes feel very dry - both during the day and when I wake up in the middle of the night. But it's worse at night...

The eye doctor had me close my eyes, and then told me that part of the problem is that my eyes are not totally closed! The solution? For now, just heavier eye drops than I had been using. I've been using Refresh Tears for years, but he recommended Refresh LiquiGel. Actually his first suggestion was GenTeal Gel; but after I told him that I was willing to use that at night but not during the day because it takes too long after I use it to be able to see clearly again, he switched to the Refresh drops. I may try using the GenTeal gel at night though.

You're right, this photo isn't totally clear, but it's the best I could do - a self-portrait with my eyes closed. I had to see for myself, so I closed my eyes (really!) and snapped this picture.