Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The case of the missing sock

...and yes, you did read that right, I said "sock", not "socks"!

The day dawned as a beautiful day for riding, with temperatures in the mid-50s for my commute in to work. After getting scared away from riding to work last week by the everyday forecast of afternoon thunderstorms, it felt really good to ride in this morning - even with the need for wearing knee warmers!

The interesting part came when I was getting ready to ride home again... When I get in to the office, I put my pannier under my desk and use it as a drying rack for my cycling clothes. Well, except for my socks, which I lay across my shoes. At one point in the afternoon I noticed that one sock was across my shoes and the other had moved to the floor - but not too far from my shoes. I picked it up and put it back on top of my cycling shoes. At that point, I still had a full pair of socks. Then came time to get ready to head for home. I grabbed my shorts and jersey and headed to the rest room to change into my cycling clothes. Back in my cube, I deposited my work clothes in my pannier, then went to put on my socks and shoes. At that point, there was only one sock on top of my shoes. I looked all over my cubicle, checked the trash, walked to the rest room (retracing my path) in case I had inadvertantly picked it up and dropped it somewhere. Nope! No where to be seen...

Luckily for my feet, I keep a pair of running shoes along with a pair of socks in my desk drawer for the times when I need an outside escape during the day.

I'd love to know what happened though. Hey, you silly sock - where are you hiding?