Saturday, August 06, 2005

A vacation decision

Rather than follow my normal vacation planning habit of planning more than 1 trip (for the year) at the same time, I deliberately waited until the successful completion of my first bicycling vacation this year. I wanted to make sure I was really back to myself again...

While I'm still cycling at a slower speed than I was pre-crash, I really do feel like I am back. My trip to Maine at the end of June definitely was a successful tour, and while I haven't been actively planning a second tour for this year, I have been tossing some ideas around in my head. Rather than travel across the Atlantic or to the western half of the country, I've decided on a tour a little closer to home. Remember, I said "a little"!

My choice? I'm going to head to Prince Edward Island in September. I'll be taking 2 weeks off, which will give me 11 days for the biking part of my trip. As far as I can tell, the bridge to PEI is about 600 miles from here, and I'm going to drive to the start of my trip.

I'm going to go back to basics in a sense because I'm not going to plan each day in advance. I believe I should be able to find B&Bs and hotels there without too much difficulty, so it will be a credit-card tour - no camping this time. And my intention is to ride around the island. All I have to decide now is the general direction - clockwise or counterclockwise!