Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A sign of things to come

I find it hard to believe how fast the sunlight seems to retreat at the edges of the day. I've really noticed the loss of light as I'm riding in the evening - either completing my commute to work, or out for a short spin on those days when my car is the vehicle of choice for my commute.

My end-of-the-day road - the one right outside of my house - has a heavy tree cover, and even on sunny days I've noticed it feels much darker (than it has been) by 7 PM. We're still well over a month away from the autumn equinox. That's just the official "look the sunshine is getting shorter" notice, but I'm clearly noticing it now.

I guess I need to face up to the fact that my bicycle commute-to-work days will be over in just 3 short weeks. That takes me to the Labor Day weekend, and in middle of the following week I'll be off to Prince Edward Island for 2 glorious weeks of cycling. I think that when I return home there really won't be enough daylight to pull off a commute to work in full daylight. Bummer.