Sunday, August 21, 2005

Fog, mist, wet!

This was definitely a good riding week, although there were times during my ride yesterday when I wasn't too sure about that! My choices for a ride destination yesterday were a loop in south coastal Maine, or a jaunt along the New Hampshire coast.

My desire for simplicity - as in not needing a map or cue sheets - plus an iffy weather forecast made me choose the close-to-home option, the New Hampshire coast. I drove to Salisbury, MA, thinking to try for a three-state day. That would have required riding through Portsmouth, NH and then heading over the bridge to Maine - but the weather conditions drove me to stop a little short of Portsmouth. It was still a 40-mile round trip, not bad at all even though I'd hoped to do 50.

It was gray and foggy when my bike and I left my car, and it seemed to get foggier as I progressed further along the coast. There wasn't much visibility out to sea, although it wasn't totally socked in, as in I could see the cars and the cars could see me. But it got grayer, and it started misting. I can't say that it was raining at all, but the mist was so heavy that I had to keep stopping to clear my glasses. I finally gave up and rode without them, something I never do! The bike was pretty trashed from the road gunk spraying up, and finally when the water was dripping off of my helmet I figured that it was time to turn around.

In spite of the conditions, it was a beautiful ride, and a good picture-taking day. My only regret is that I didn't manage a good close-up shot of the egrets that I kept seeing in the marshes on the non-ocean side of the road.

And yes, my bike did get a bath and re-lube as soon as we (the bike & I!) got home.

See what I mean by a bit foggy?


This is before my glasses got too water-splattered to see through. They were bad, but not too bad yet!


I just had to stop when I saw this bird party. They must have been having a party - or I guess they just like hanging out together!


More pictures from today can be found in my Along the New Hampshire Coast - 2005 smugmug gallery. The first page of the gallery is from a ride back in May; the rest is from today's ride.