Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Disappearing sunlight

Why is it that the addition of more sunlight to each day as spring approaches seems slow, and the disappearance of sunlight as fall approaches seems fast? I'm enjoying what I believe are the last two weeks of the year for commuting to work by bike (OK, only 2 to 3 days a week, but still!). I'm leaving on September 7th for a 2-week vacation wandering around Prince Edward Island on my bike, and by the time I return there won't be enough daylight to support both a full day of work and my commute to work.

I just looked at the 'Sun and Moon' page on the National Weather Service's website, and the times they show for sunrise and sunset confirm my feeling that the daylight is in fact getting shorter quickly. On August 1st, possible hours of sunlight were 14:28, and by the end of August that has decreased to 13:12. When I'm back after my vacation, the sunlight has decreased to just over 12 hours - with a sunrise on September 22nd at 6:36 AM and a sunset at 6:42 PM. Considering that I usually leave for work on my bike at 6:30 and get home at about 7 PM, well I think it's back to a non-biking commute.

I'll enjoy the rest of this year's biking commute though. Here's hoping for decent weather for the next week and a half!