Sunday, August 14, 2005

Hot, hot, thunderstorms...

My riding (or lack of riding) this week was definitely dictated by the weather wizards. Forecasted thunderstorms every day stopped me from commuting to week by bike. I managed two after-work rides, but on Thursday and Friday the weather decided to go along with the forecasted rain.

Saturday dawned very hot and very humid - as in, the temperatures were in the 90's. That combined with high humidity helped me to change my plans of doing a 50-mile ride along the southern coast of Maine. Yup, I stayed close to home, and did small smaller loops so I could get home (relatively) easily if the heat started to get to me. I managed a 38-mile ride, and I was pretty soaked and pretty tired when I got home. It's amazing how much the heat changes things, isn't it? My riding time on Sunday was about 10 degrees cooler, but still pretty humid. Even so, I managed 43 miles on my purple bike.

I guess all things considered, I shouldn't be too unhappy with my mileage for the week. Yes, I want to make sure that I'm in good shape for my upcoming trip to Prince Edward Island. But really, I think I'm in decent shape now, and another 3 1/2 weeks of decent length rides should keep me ready!

Now? The rain has finally arrived, and I'm listening to the rain and the thunder. The temperature dropped a good 15 degrees very quickly when the rain arrived, and the forecast (after tomorrow, that is) is for dry and cooler weather for the week. Here's hoping...

On my walks this week I saw flowers in their summer slendor...


...and trees that didn't seem to understand that it was still hot, hot summer - with patches, sometimes small and sometimes large, of their autumn colors!