Thursday, August 04, 2005

Missing road signs

Or maybe is should say deliberately missing road signs!

I've lived in the Boston area for 20 years now and I think I will never get used to the lack of signs on our local roads. What signs? You know, those signs that are supposed to show both the name of the cross-street and the name of the street that you are traveling on. For some reason, many (if not most) of the streets here are marked with the name of the minor cross street, but not the name of the major road. So unless you already know what road you are traveling on, figuring out where you are can be a real mystery.

I usually get along OK, but in my (bicycle) commute to work over the last 2 days I've been exploring some variations to my route. I have to say that although I really wasn't sure that the roads I was wandering down would connect anywhere reasonable to get to my final destination, they were pleasant for riding. And surprise, surprise! They got me where I wanted to be - success!