Friday, May 20, 2005

An anniversary that deserves notice

Yes, this is it - the anniversay of my stellar impact with the pavement, of flipping my bike over and landing on my head, of my crash. I had hoped to celebrate the day with my first bike commute to work of the season (and since the crash), but I woke up to cool weather - temps in the low 40s - and a forecast of possible rain later in the day. Hoping that the rain wouldn't come until very late but being scared off by the temperature, I drove in to work, arriving early enough to put in a full day and leave at 3:30 - plenty of time to pull off a decent after-work ride. Of course the forecast of rain wasn't right; it was beautiful by late afternoon with some sun, and temperatures in the mid 60s. I had a good end-of-the-day celebration ride, which I think was the best way to celebrate surviving that accident.

Truth be told, I don't think I'm quite back to my pre-accident cycling shape. I honestly don't know if that is due to the accident or if it is due to our very wet and cool spring. Putting in two decent (but not really long, 30+ mile) days of riding still leaves me feeling tired on the third day, and my goal is to be able to ride 50+ miles day after day. For my work commutes, I need to be able to put in a 30+ mile day plus a full day's work in between my rides to and from work. I think I'd be happy with commuting 2 or 3 days a week by bike, although 4 would be ideal. And for touring? Well, that's the 50 mile a day goal, and I'm not there yet. Soon, I hope!

And I hope that the weather wizard is listening to my goals, because I think I need the wizard's help. The last week of May is ahead, and it sounds like it will be a continuation of wet and cool. So weather wizard, please, please, please put in a change for June. I need to be back to the normal Denise.

What better way to celebrate than by getting out and riding my bike? That red spot surrounded by black & blue on my face? Yup, you're right - it's still left from the crash.