Sunday, May 01, 2005

Wet again... weather wizard, you aren't listening!

The sun has finally reappeared after another very wet weekend. The week wasn't too bad - I managed 3 after-work bike rides - but the weekend was another story. Yesterday's ride was too short, and wet from the beginning. It was just starting to spit at the start of the ride, but it wasn't enough to cancel. But the rain got steadier, and a shorter ride than planned seemed like a good idea. Then it managed to rain on and off until late this afternoon. The sun finally came out a little after 5... too late for my riding plans.

I did spend some time pouring over maps of Nova Scotia, in an attempt to plan a long weekend get-away at the tail end of June. I was originally thinking of using last year's canceled plans, but then I realized that I had a 70 mile riding day in there. That's really too far right now. I'd like to think that by the end of June I can pull off a loaded day of that length, but I don't think that's smart planning. Right now I'm leaning toward heading from Yarmouth to the north, which keeps me on the Bay of Fundy side rather than the Atlantic side of Nova Scotia. I think I can pull off a slightly shorter day - like around 50 miles. Well, that doesn't feel short to me right now with my non-riding weekends, but hopefully it's a realistic goal. So I've gone from considering doing the entire long weekend in Maine to again thinking I'm going to Nova Scotia. I suppose I'll need to make up my mind soon...

I did a fair amount of wandering with a camera too, and I was rewarded with seeing some amazing flowers. It really is spring, even though the weather isn't cooperating nicely from a riding standpoint.