Sunday, June 05, 2005

1000 miles!

A goal reached, 1000 miles on my bike so far in 2005!

I've been keeping track of my bicycling mileage - all of my exercise, actually - for a number of years. And somehow, reaching the first 1000 miles in the year has become a good milestone and a good indication of my fitness for my bicycling endeavors. The first 1000 each year seems to go by slowly, while the rest seem to build quite nicely. That's probably because the early months of the year contain only short occasional rides, but it's turned into a sort of a challenge for me to reach that first 1000 at the same time (or earlier) than in previous years. You're right, that's not always possible in years that I am slowed by our wacky weather here in the northeast.

But I feel pretty good today. My first morning ride was with friends. We had planned a 20 to 25 mile ride, which I knew wouldn't quite get me to my goal. Our planned ride turned out to be 22 miles in heat and humidity. I needed another 19 to hit my 1000-mile goal, and I was determined not to wait until later in the week. After we finished our ride (my first ride) and stood around chatting for a while, everyone else headed home. I took a quick nourishment and sunscreen break, and then I headed out to get the remaining 19 miles under my wheels. Today was a good day to reach that initial 1000-mile goal!

Happy feet clad in red shoes, cycling down the road in the sunshine.


A good case of helmet head, in between my two Sunday rides. Two? I was too close to 1000 miles to stop after one!