Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Confirmation of my suspicions

May this year seemed to be a never-ending month. I feel like I spent the month complaining about the weather. At first I thought it was just me - and the other crazy cyclists I know who also wanted to be out on the road - but by the end of the month I was hearing complaints from (seemingly) everyone.

The National Weather Service just published a summary of the month's weather, and no, I wasn't imagining things. Here's some of what they had to say:

MAY 2005 WAS AN UNUSUALLY COOL AND GLOOMY MONTH FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. MOST CLIMATOLOGICAL STATIONS RANKED MAY 2005 WITHIN THE TOP 5 COOLEST IN AT LEAST 100 YEARS OF OFFICIAL RECORDS. IN ADDITION THE BLUE HILLS OBSERVATORY IN MILTON MA ONLY RECORDED APPROXIMATELY 34 PERCENT SUNSHINE FOR MAY 2005...THE SECOND LEAST SUNNIEST MAY SINCE 1888.

MAY 2005 - COLDEST MAY SINCE 1967 IN BOSTON, 4TH COLDEST ON RECORD ...IN ADDITION THERE WERE ONLY THREE DAYS DURING THE MONTH WITH ABOVE AVERAGE DAILY MEAN TEMPERATURES.

TOTAL PRECIPITATION WAS 3.98 INCHES...JUST 0.74 INCH ABOVE NORMAL ...MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION OF 0.01 INCH OR GREATER OCCURRED DURING 19 OUT OF 31 DAYS OR SEVEN DAYS MORE THAN NORMAL. MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION WAS ALSO RECORDED ON EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY/HOLIDAY DURING THE MONTH EXCEPT SATURDAY MAY 14TH.
No wonder it was such a depressing month. Here's hoping that June turns out to be a bit more spring-like.