Friday, January 14, 2005

New York bound

When I found out about Dad's scheduled surgery next Monday, he actually called to tell me that I didn't need to be there. It was a hard decision for me to make, but I ultimately decided that he was right since there really isn't anything I can contribute by waiting at the hospital as opposed to at home (well, at my office). I don't want my mom to be sitting and waiting alone during the surgery, but my sister is going to be there - so that's covered. If Suze couldn't be there, then I would have made sure that I was there. Can you tell that I still feel a little guilty about this?

We've been told that the hospital stay will be 5 to 7 days, and Mom & Dad will be staying in New York for several days past that time. He's booked a suite at the Marriott East Side which has a sofa bed in one room and two double beds in the other - so the current plan is that we'll all share the room. The good thing is that he is a Marriott platinum member (or something like that), so although the room isn't on the concierge level my mom will have access to the complimentary breakfast and evening snacks. Unfortunately, she's had practice within the past year of staying in a hotel to be with someone in the hospital (me! two weeks in Boston last May) - but it helps me to know that she'll have access to food without going out. And since they stay at that hotel whenever they wander to New York for a weekend, the staff there knows both of them. I'm sure that will help.

As for next week, Suze will be there Sunday through either Tuesday or Wednesday, Neal will be there for the day on Thursday, and I'm heading down on Friday. Although none of the rest of us are as sure as Dad, he's convinced that he'll be out of the hospital by next weekend. We'll see. In the meantime, we're all thinking good thoughts.

Hey Dad - Brandy said to tell you that he's sending his own good wishes to you too!