Sunday, January 16, 2005

Polartec® Power Stretch® rocks!

What - you're advertising a product in your blog?

That wasn't really my intent, but... I have lots of thin layers that work well for cycling, and some of them tranfer very nicely to walking too. But the tights I like for riding in cold weather I really don't like for walking - Pearl Izumi AmFib tights are warm, and the front of the tights are made of a fabric that is windproof and water resistant. For some reason they feel odd to me when walking, but they don't feel odd at all when riding. So I went looking for another option, and found some tights that REI makes that are made of Malden Mills Polartec® Power Stretch®. What a fabulous fabric for keeping my legs warm and happy on my winter walks!

Even though I hoped to end the week with a bit of biking, I didn't expect that to be a real possibility, so I was pretty happy with my walking weekend. I happily ride when the temperature is in the 40s, and I can manage short rides - with a max of about 20 miles - when the temperature is in the 30s. But 20s? Well that's another story entirely. I can dress warmly enough to still be able to move when I'm walking, but cycling adds another dimension of cold. I did manage very enjoyable (fast) walks both Saturday and Sunday even though it was cold and gray both days.

The patterns in the ice skimming the tops of the many of the puddles from all of that rain fascinate me.


No, you're not imagining things - the trees are wearing collars made of ice. It appears that there was some drainage from this previously flooded area, and the unsupported ice has cracked, leaving what looks like collars around the trees.


This close-up makes it a little easier to pick out those icy collars.