Saturday, January 08, 2005

Walking in the snow

Well, that very specific crazy weather forecast for today (the one that was posted for only a short time on Thursday) was partially right - we did get snow and freezing rain and rain. It just wasn't for the short times predicted; instead it was all day!

I headed out for a long walk just as it started snowing. It wasn't bad at first, but by the time I got home a solid hour and a half later it was getting hard to walk. I'm convinced at this point that the town of Andover plows the sidewalks in some neighborhoods. As I started heading toward the town center from home, the walks were relatively clear. (Relatively in that they had only new snow on them...) But as I completed that big circle and was coming close to home from the other direction, I had to go back to walking in the road since the walks were an absolute mess. They hadn't been cleared from the last storm. I'm actually pretty lucky in that I live next to a college campus, and the roads and sidewalks in there are cleared early and often in snow storms. That is my walking place of choice during the week since I feel a lot happier about walking there in the early morning and evening than I do about walking in the road in the dark.

My footprints in the snow, early in the storm.


A cozy home for birds, a nice place to escape from the snow!


Yes, it's really snowing - and those blobs in the photo really are the snow.