Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Unhappy, but not unexpected news...

...came our way last Friday

Dad had his followup appointment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering for two spots on his lungs that originally were noticed back in October. Unfortunately the spots have gotten larger, and the doc said they have to come out. It's too early to know what they are - he had colon cancer many years ago (9 or 10, I think) that was successfully treated. So it's possible that the new cancer is from the long ago removed colon cancer, but it's also possible that they are something new. It doesn't make any of us happy, but I have to believe that these spots were found early and that whatever it is can be successfully treated.

It's odd; people are diagnosed with cancer every day, but when it's someone you're close to or even just someone you know, it really slaps you in the face. I wish there was something I could do to help, but for now the only thing I know how to do is to send my good wishes his way, to be there to support both of my folks emotionally, and in person too when they need me.

Mom & Dad in the kitchen at Thanksgiving. Sorry Mom, I know you don't like pictures of yourself, but I think you'd agree that this one is decent! And yes, those are LIVESTRONG armbands both of my folks are wearing. I bought them before the latest diagnosis, and they just seemed right given what's happening.


If you're reading this, please send your good thoughts and wishes wafting towards my dad!