Saturday, December 24, 2005

Dancing, prancing, bounding!

It was a beautiful day for a ride today, with temperatures in the mid to upper 40s - definitely not a normal December day. No complaints on my part though...

I was within a couple of miles of home, riding on a quiet back road lined with woods and houses too. There was no traffic, just my very quiet bicycle. And as I looked down the road, I saw a deer off to the side, heading toward the road. The deer very quietly and gracefully ran across the road in front of me and quickly disappeared in the woods on the other side of the road. Beautiful, what a graceful creature! I'm glad to have shared a bit of space with her today.

The rest of my ride was uneventful but enjoyable. The roads were wet with snow-melt, but the riding conditions were still reasonable. In spite of the warm weather, ponds in the area were still ice-covered, but were sporting cracks, a few holes, and in places, a sheen of water on top of the ice.

Still ice-covered, but with a long crack extending across the frozen water.