Saturday, December 31, 2005

Pineapple sunshine

Ah, the smell of a freshly cut pineapple makes me think of sunshine. It's gray and gloomy outside, but there's a smile on my face and visions of Hawaii in my mind.

Of course, the pineapple I cut this morning had its roots in Costa Rica, not Hawaii, but my dreams drift toward the Hawaiian islands anyway.

When I'm in Hawaii I always buy local pineapple, but when I'm home my choice is Del Monte Gold. I don't know if this fruit just travels better, or if it really has a better taste... I headed over to the Del Monte web site to see if they had any information about this fruit. Interesting... one fact that just jumped off the page at me is that (any variety of) pineapple takes 18 months to grow. Another thing that cropped up in my web search is that there have been law suits over this pineapple hybrid between Del Monte, Dole, and the Maui Pineapple Company. Del Monte dropped their suit against Maui Pineapple back in 2003, and it's not clear what happened with the suit against Dole. A fascinating food fight.

OK, I know it's business - but stop fighting and just keep producing this wonderful fruit!