Sunday, December 18, 2005

Orange feet sliding

Yesterday was a day for cycling, and today was a day for walking. The temperatures were in the 30s both days, a little warmer yesterday than today. My purple bike and I rolled down the road yesterday, pretty much sticking with the more major roads - still just two lanes though - in order to attempt to stay on dry road surfaces, to stay away from icy patches along the side and to avoid the salt crystals that are still in evidence. It was a decent but relatively short bike excursion.

I had planned to ride again today, but somehow I couldn't get excited about traversing the same roads yet again. It was slightly colder today too; the temperatures during my ride yesterday were in the high 30s. Today I don't think it got much higher than 35. Should I ride? Should I take the day off? Hey - this indecision about something I love to do just didn't feel right, and I began to realize that I needed a change.

Today's excursion wasn't on two wheels. Instead it was on two feet - after a little bit of a drive. I decided that the New Hampshire coast would be a good change of pace for me - and I was right. It was a good walking day, chilly, and a little windy. A relatively quiet ocean was on one side of the road, and there was a section on the other side of the road with a marshy area that was pretty much frozen over. There were a couple of people skating, but the reason I stopped there was to watch the birds. There was a large flock of sea gulls, mainly on top of the ice, but a few paddling around in the water. And there were three very funny ducks, orange feet sliding across the ice as they waltzed over to the water for a swim.

The air temperature was probably in the mid-30s, and I have any idea about how cold the water was - but there were wet-suited characters out surfing today!


Are you as tired of slipping around on this ice as I am? Hey - we're almost back to the water's edge - let's go swimming!