Friday, December 09, 2005

Snow, a quiet office, odd coins

Today's weather forecast calls for snow in varying amounts - and that white stuff has started so it was no surprise to me that I was the first one in the office this morning. My real question is, how many of my colleagues will decide to work in the office today as opposed to working at home. There are 2 of us here so far. (Update at the end of the day: we were 4 in total by the end of the day. That's out of about 20 - so the vast majority chose to work at home today...)

Funny thing... I started my morning (in the office) by getting a nice hot cup of tea, and by grabbing a bottle of sparkling water from the refrigerator. Soft drinks here are on the honor system, 25 cents to be deposited in a glass on top of the refrigerator. I didn't have change, so I grabbed the glass to pull 75 cents out in exchange for my dollar. I saw a coin that looked a bit odd to me since it had scalloped edges. What is that? It turned out to be a 10 dollar coin from Jamaica! Oh, you want to know where that came from? I'm sure that coin was deposited in the glass in an attempt to make our accounting guy a bit crazy. Sometimes folks will drop in loose coins - usually pennies - they'll put in the required amount, but then add some extra, so the amount in the jar won't add up to a multiple of 25 cents. So I'm sure it was a stunt pulled for the benefit of accounting...