Friday, December 16, 2005

Happy to see rain!

I can't believe I'm actually saying that I'm happy to see this morning's rain. The forecast was for snow and freezing rain changing to rain, and there definitely was some of that icy stuff overnight. By the time I left for the office the precipitation had changed to a cold rain, wet but not frozen. I'm hoping that today's rain gets rid of some of our early season snow cover and cleans up the roads to make a good cycling weekend.

I suppose I'm a bit obsessed with the weather lately. It's because I really prefer to exercise outside, and both biking and walking are much better on dry surfaces. For my exercise walking, a non-dry surface is almost ok during the day, but when I'm walking in the dark I really prefer a dry surface.

This past week has been very cold and there are still icy patches on walking surfaces left from last Friday's crazy storm, so I've pretty much been sticking with indoor exercise. It's not all bad because I think I'm falling into a decent winter routine. I walked outside on Monday, but for the next 3 days a treadmill and elliptical trainer were my good friends. I'd love to get back outside today, but that will depend on what happens when this current downpour stops. I'm hoping that things clear out; from the forecast it sounds like there could be a mix of rain and snow late in the afternoon. That sounds a bit odd since the temperature is supposed to rise to the high 30s.