Friday, December 09, 2005

Home again, looking out at a sea of white

I have to admit that there were a few moments this evening when I thought my decision to work at the office today was a mistake. I headed to the Marriott after work to get a workout in, and I was totally amazed at the number of cars very slowly crawling down Mall Road. Luckily for me the Marriott is right across the street, and I walked so I could leave my car in the parking garage at my office. A good workout completed, I headed back across the street. The road was still packed with slow moving cars, so I just dropped my gym bag in my car and headed back in to the office. I figured I'd rather be inside with access to my computer than sitting in my car in traffic...

I stayed for another hour, then decided that was long enough. Time to head home! The highway still sounded like a mess, so I took surface streets, route 3a to 62 to 125. (Oh right, those last two don't quite intersect - don't try that one without knowing the cross streets!) The thing that absolutely amazed me was that route 62 went from a very bumpy but drivable snow-covered road to a totally clear surface at the town line between Burlington and Wilmington. Looks to me like one town does a much better job at snow removal than the other. (In case you're interested, it was Wilmington that did the better job!)

I was away from home a bit longer than I'd planned, but spending that extra hour in the office allowed the traffic to thin out. My drive took me 45 minutes, which is not too far off of normal. My gut feeling is that I got home at the same time I would have if I'd headed out an hour earlier. One way I could sit and surf the web, the other I would have been a very frustrated driver (in a sea of frustrated drivers).

All in all, it wasn't a bad day. But there's really a lot of that white stuff out there. Snow, snow, snow... The sky is absolutely clear now, sunshine tomorrow?